Monday, April 7, 2014

Chawton Garden Cottage Gets a New Sign Board

 Today I thought I would share a little project I did over the weekend ... I put together a new sign for 'Chawton Cottage' ... the old sign had ...
faded badly in the year a half since it was put on the garden house.  I spent much of Saturday, between watching sessions of General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on TV, stripping the antique door header.  It had about eight layers of paint, and several thick chunks of paint were missing, so it would have look weird if I had just painted it.  I stripped it to smooth it out before painting it, but


 when I was done, I loved the multi-color levels of paint so much, I decided to skip the new paint.  After all, many of the windows that make up the garden house have shabby original paint.

Just as a reminder, the original Chawton Cottage is the house where Jane Austen did most of her writing!

I was very happy with how it turned out, in fact I like it better than the original sign that I put on the cottage when it was new in the late summer of 2012.  The letters are metal, and I think they will stay readable much long, at least I hope so.  Happy Spring everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the new sign...your greenhouse is a tiny treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! I love the nod to Jane Austen!

    ReplyDelete