Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Grande Tour and Downton Abbey too!


I had a chance to redo our front display at the antique mall last week.  Since I have been redoing this display for more than ten years it makes it a little difficult to come up with fresh ideas.  

Then I saw some foreign capitals memorabilia in Laurie's booth ... which in turn made me think of the 'grande tour', a Victorian concept in which the children of wealthy families, upon coming of age, or finished undergraduate studies, would be sent from 6 months to a year to tour Europe, thus 'finishing' their 'education'.

Thus I gathered suitcases, and trunks, a travel typewriter and a world globe.  Art work suggestive of foreign climes and a lovely antique mannequin wearing a wealthy traveler's mandatory fur coat ... a ships wheel and lanterns suggest travel by ship and train.




It really was a fun display to put together, but it made me a little wistful ...  guess I will just have to get my traveling bug bit by watching some Downton Abbey ... that way I get to time travel as well!  
Any other Downton Abbey fans out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment