Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Natural Egg Dye

These eggs, and another 7 were all boiled in a pot with the papery skin of one medium yellow onion!!

 A customer at the antique mall this week mentioned that this is how he and his wife know if an egg in the fridge is hard boiled.
 I was making potato salad and it seemed like the perfect time to try it out.  Voila! I love them and their slight variations and natural stripes.
My granddaughter Eva was equally amazed ... now I just need to try it with red onion skins.  I have to admit that boiling the coloring agent with the eggs was super easy!  Does anyone know other natural dyes that would work for eggs?

4 comments:

  1. It's not a natural dye, but moms on Pinterest are using unsweetened Koolaid...no vinegar required. Beet juice would work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you trying the onion skin way of dying eggs. I haven't tried it yet but an so interested in doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Better Homes and Gardens website has a few ideas. Red onions make jade green eggs??? Mimi

    ReplyDelete