Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer in The Garden with Jane ala UVU

 A Party is a Party, but a Party on a summer day, with like minded Janites, may just be the best possible party of all, even if Mr. Collins must be allowed to disagree.



The setting of this lovely event was the beautiful private gardens of an Orem estate. Above you see the harpist, Julie Edholm helping to set the mood. The delightful afternoon was planned by UVU as part of their 'Summer in the Garden' scholarship fund raising effort.

As you see my friend Robin, a fellow Janite and JASNA member. (the Jane Austen Society of North America) greets me as I arrive, unfortunately a bit more than 'fashionably late'.


The lovely food has been prepared by the UVU Culinary Arts Institute.



As I glance around I recognize a few other JASNA (Utah Chapter) people, easily identified by their period clothing.  To the left above is Aspen Anderson our Founding President.


Here we see the audience giving their attention to the program of educational lectures and dramatic readings of favorite bits of Austen's novels.


 As I walked by I noticed this lovely young Janite enjoying a blissful moment with her eyes closed.  She was gracious enough a moment later to 'reinact' that moment for me.  It wasn't until I looked at the picture at home that I noticed the obvious anachronism of the moment.
 

Scanning the crowd for more Janites in costume, I also noticed an old friend.  Sally is another ex patriot of my Cottonwood Heights days.  I haven't seen her since we were both juggling babies, and I can tell you that has been a while!!  What fun!!

Here we see the participating members of our JASNA chapter under an arbor.


And this picture is of those of us who can't get enough of Austen or the Regency Period that produced her.

Robin was kind enough to pose showing off the back closure of the charming dress she rented from the Hale Center Theater's Archive Costume Rental, http://www.haletheater.org/costumes/ as well as the hat that she allowed me to design to go with it.


Alas, all good things must come to an end, and the admiration of Jane Austen in an absolutely fabulous garden was no exception.  As we were leaving I saw the JASNA logo poster for the Utah Chapter and thought I would share it with you all.

If you have an interest in joining us at the Utah Chapter of JASNA activities please contact Ms. Anderson at austenfans411@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun Paula and you looked adorable! I just LOVE that estate...fabulous!!! xo

    ReplyDelete